CEDERBERG PRIVATE CELLAR
- Against all the odds the traditional Wupperthal Riel dancers with no formal training, won the South African national competition – this entitles them to compete in the 2015 World Championships of Performing Arts in Los Angeles in July. Lets get behind these guys to showcase Riel Africa to the world. Please follow “Die Nuwe Graskoue Trappers” on FACEBOOK and / or MAIL FLORIS SMITH to donate.
- Cape Winemakers Guild salutes 20 year Nedbank partnership. This year marks the 20th anniversary of Nedbank’s association with the Cape Winemakers Guild and with the dawn of this remarkable milestone, the bank has renewed its longstanding partnership for a further three years … This year’s auction takes place at the Spier Conference Centre in the Stellenbosch Winelands on Saturday, 3 October 2015. Read More
|Recently David Nieuwoudt, owner and winemaker of Cederberg Private Cellar, visited our United Kingdom agent, Bancroft Wines. As always excellent attendance paved the way for another great year in the UK. Watch this video to learn more about the Longavi label and meet the people behind the brand.
- Another GOLD for Cederberg Wines!
The Drinks Business Pinot Noir Global Masters – Ghost Corner Pinot Noir 2013.
By bringing together over 350 examples from 16 countries to be scrutinised by some of the trade’s most experienced MW and MS palates, The Drinks Business Pinot Noir Global Masters offered a perfect opportunity to assess the status quo. Read more
- Friday 24 – Sunday 26 July 2015 : Fine Food & Wine Weekend at BUSHMANS KLOOF.
This Signature Food and Wine Weekend will offer guests an unforgettable wilderness experience along with a gourmet feast by Executive Chef Floris Smith that celebrates the marriage of world-class cuisine and a selection of Cederberg’s finest vintages. Also included are special presentations, talks and tastings, nature drives, rock art excursions, all meals, wine and lodge activities. Book now
- Cederberg ROBERT PARKER reviews, October 2014 :
2012 Five Generations Cabernet Sauvignon: 90
2011 Five Generation Chenin Blanc: 90
2013 Bukettraube: 89
2013 Chenin Blanc: 89
2013 Cape Winemaker’s Guild – Ghost Corner Semillon: 90
2012 Cape Winemaker’s Guild – Teen die Hoog Shiraz: 92
2013 Ghost Corner Pinot Noir: 90
2013 Ghost Corner Sauvignon Blanc: 88
2013 Cederberg Sauvignon Blanc: 88
2011 Cederberg Shiraz: 90 (this is fabulous vintage continuity)
* Please take note that in certain countries that distribute Cederberg some of these wines are sold out. The reference however remains relevant.
- 2013 Longaví, Sauvignon Blanc, Leyda Valley: “A joint venture between J Bouchon of Chile and South African Sauvignon specialist, David Nieuwoudt, this is a wine that lives up to its pre-release hype. Creamy, goosberry and nettley fruit with bags of texture and tangy acidity and a long, elegantly tropical finish with a touch of sweetness.” 92. Tim Atkin. Read more
- David Nieuwoudt in Cracow
Read article on Polish website
- Veritas Awards 2014: We are proud to announce that Cederberg Private Cellar received 3 Double Gold awards for 3 wines made in 3 different regions:
Cederberg Shiraz 2012 from Cederberg ward, Ghost Corner Semillon 2013 from Elim ward and Longavi Sauvignon Blanc 2013 from Leyda Valley, Chile. We were also awarded 6 Silver Awards for 4 wines from the Cederberg range and 2 wines from Ghost Corner range.
Take a closer look
- Take a break and join us for two days in Wolseley at the Castle Rock Craft Beer, Wine & Cider Experience – 31 October to 1 November 2014. Read more
- A small extract from a recent review by Stephan Tanzier of some of the wines that will be auction at the upcoming Cape Wine maker’s Guild auction this Saturday: 4 October 2014
Cederberg Teen die hoog Shiraz 2012 (14.5% alcohol; a selection of the best three barrels, all new;3.1 g/l r.s.)
Bright ruby-red. Sexy perfume of cherry, mulberry, white pepper, flowers and truffle. Juicy and penetrating, showing lovely acid thrust and floral grip to its still-tight red fruit flavors. Quite bright and sharply delineated, finishing with firm but suave tannins and excellent definition and savory length. Not especially fleshy or sweet but I would not be surprised if this lovely shiraz put on weight in bottle over the next three to five years. Very classy juice. Winemaker: David Nieuwoudt. 92 +. On the Wine Spectator’s page (26/09/2014) James Molesworth rated the same wine a …92!!
- Longavi, The Drinks Business,1 Aug 2014 : Winemaker David Nieuwoudt, from Cederberg in South Africa, unveiled his new project in partnership with Julio Bouchon, of Chile’s Bouchon winery this week. The pair have created a 2013 Sauvignon Blanc called ‘Longavi’, made from selected vineyard parcels in the Leyda Valley – the result of three years of planning. It has a limited production of five thousand bottles and will be available from the Autumn of 2014 in the UK, exclusively through Bancroft Wines. Take a closer look
- Decanter World Wine Awards 2014. Cederberg Shiraz 2011 was awarded the Regional Trophy: South African Red Rhône Varietal over £15. Decanter tasting note: “An intriguing perfume of lily, red fruit, herbs and garrigue. Lovely lifted plum, juicy hedgerow fruit and spice character on the palate, with well-handled oak and fresh acidity. Yiedling yet tensile, with a fruitful conclusion.” Five Generations Cabernet Sauvignon 2012 and our Waitrose Foundation Chenin Blanc 2013 recieved gold medals.
- The Cederberg Sauvignon Blanc 2013 has been awarded gold at the Sommelier Wine Awards 2014. The judges described their tasting experience as follows: “Complex yet restrained, this sports an almost Old World balance of flavours on the nose, with herbaceous, grassy notes mixed with citrus fruit. ‘The palate is lean and racy, with fine fresh minerality,’ said Alan Holmes of The Vineyard at Stockcross. ‘This calls for fresh, simple and seasonal food,’ said team leader Natasha Hughes, suggesting asparagus and trout with fragrant herbs”. At the same competition the Ghost Corner Semillon 2011 received silver, Ghost Corner Pinot Noir 2012 received bronze and Ghost Corner The Bowline 2012 was commended. Read More
Video: “Dagbreek: Landbousake” featuring David Nieuwoudt in Afrikaans about the winning Shiraz.
- The Cape’s top 20 wineries of 2014 – As the reputation of Cape wines grow over the years, a panel of 29 has selected its top 20 winemakers from the celebrated region – Tim James, Mail & Guardian Read More
- Top 100: David Nieuwoudt from legendary Cederberg Private Cellar shares with wine.co.za – ‘We are thrilled to have three winning wines in the 2014 Challenge. Our committed team is working with fabulous fruit and this winning combination yields these fine results. To be the overall first placed Vineyard Consistency Award winner from 2011 – 2014 with 17 winning wines is recognition that makes all of us exceptionally proud.The quality of the international judging panel at Top 100 and their rigorous tasting protocols, makes it the premier fine wine event in SA. For their learned palates to rate Cederberg wines so consistently is as inspiring as it is satisfying.’ Read complete article here
- Vandalen : Toen Ans en ik om zes uur ‘s ochtends de zonsopgang bewonderden in de oogstrelend mooie Cederberg Wildernis, werden we welkom geheten door twee bewakers. Ze waren zwaar bewapend maar de geweren die ze droegen… Read more
- Cederberg takes top honours at SAWi awards. Read more
- De nieuwe diversiteit van Zuid-Afrika. Zuid-Afrika staat niet stil op het gebied van wijn. Het is een boeiend wijnland, dat op zoek is naar eigenheid… Op een goede manier, want overwegend op de enig mogelijke, eerlijke manier. Lars Daniëls legt uit waarom hij dat vindt. Read more
- A tale of two tablecloths – A view on the Ghost Corner Pinot Noir 2012 Read More
- We are proud to be associated with Ellerman House Wine Gallery & Villa Two. Read more
- Four Five-star ratings for Cederberg
At the annual Platter awards today, 8 November 2013, Cederberg Private Cellar was awarded FOUR five-star ratings for the following wines: Cederberg Five Generations Cabernet Sauvignon 2011, Cape Winemaker’s Guild Auction Reserve Teen die Hoog Shiraz 2011, Ghost Corner Wild Ferment Sauvignon Blanc 2012 and Ghost Corner The Bowline 2012. Read more
- Elim’s Windswept Wonder “Elim Sémillon is no newcomer to the Young Wine Show podium. In fact, the 2010 General Smuts winner was made from the same vineyards as this year’s Cederberg Champion. The high altitude winery’s David Nieuwoudt reckons that the most southern vine growing region in Africa has not nearly reached its full potential. No wonder he drives 500kms to sources these grape, without any hesitation…” WineLand magazine – Young Wine Show focus. Click here for the whole article in pdf
- Cederberg Teen die Hoog Shiraz 2011 one of the top 10 selling wines at the 29th Nedbank Cape Winemakers Guild Auction. Read more
- South African Terroir Awards, 2013:
“The great wines that portray the inimitability of South Africa’s diverse “terroir”, the French and international term for specific wine growing terrains, are highlighted at the Novare South African Terroir Wine Awards” – http://www.terroirwineawards.co.za
– Top Sauvignon Blanc : Ghost Corner Sauvignon Blanc 2011
– Top Shiraz: Cederberg Shiraz 2010
– Won for the 6th time in a row : Top Semillon : Ghost Corner Semillon 2011
- See all the pictures from the Premium Independent Wineries of South Africa (PIWOSA) tasting that took place at the Decanter HQ in London on Wednesday 5th June 2013. Click here
- The Cederberg Sauvignon Blanc 2012 has won the Nestle Pure Life Trophy for Best Sauvignon Blanc 2013 at the 2013 Old Mutual Trophy Wine Show!… The annual Old Mutual Trophy Wine Show is a local competition that started in 2002. In 2004 Cederberg Private Cellar shot to stardom when the Shiraz 2002 won the Fairbairn Capital Trophy for Best Red Wine as well as the British Airways/Comair Trophy for Best Shiraz. In 2010 the Cederberg Sauvignon Blanc 2009 won the trophy for the best unwooded Sauvignon Blanc. read more
- Iafrica Article : Once a year the Heuningsvlei Village in the remote part of the Cederberg, attracts about 150 enthusiastic environmentalists from far and wide to assist the community to plant sapling Clanwilliam Cedar trees in amongst the craggy Cederberg mountains. read more
- For the second consective year Concours Mondial du Sauvignon awards Gold to Cederberg Winery’s Sauvignon Blanc. The 2012 Cederberg Sauvignon Blanc is one of only six wines from South Africa that reached Gold. View results
- Recently one of our many representatives in the world – in this case Alex Harper from the United Kingdom, came to assist with the harvesting – Read here what her experience was …
Cederberg Private Cellar have won Highly Commended in The Waitrose way awards which celebrate outstanding initiatives by suppliers to enhance the sustainability of their businesses and, ultimately, the food that ends up on consumers’ plates. Read more about The Waitrose way
South Africa’s most uniquely situated wine farm falls within the pristine environs of the Cederberg Wilderness Area, which lies in the Cape Floral Kingdom. Here, among spectacular rock formations and fynbos, you will find the highest altitude vineyards in the Cape. Conservation is fundamental and Cederberg Private Cellar is a committed member of the Biodiversity & Wine Initiative.
The cold climate and remote location, with its pure mountain air and water, ensures that the vines are virus free. This results in award-winning wines which show an exceptional purity of fruit. The farm has been in the Nieuwoudt family for five generations and David Nieuwoudt currently makes the wines.
Cederberg Private Cellar produces six ranges of wine – Cederberg, which includes its signature Bukettraube; Five Generations; David Nieuwoudt Ghost Corner; the Waitrose Foundation sustainable range; Cape Atlantic; and the Cape Winemakers Guild Auction wines. Sanddrif holiday resort, on the banks of the Dwars River at the foot of the Wolfberg, provides the perfect base for a relaxing break.
|Permits, bookings and accommodation enquiries:
|+27 27 482 2825
086 509 1683
|+27 27 482 2827
|Directions from Cape Town|
|From Cape Town, take the N7 turn-off on the N1 and, 28 km after Citrusdal, turn right at the Algeria/Cederberg sign. Continue past Algeria and over the Uitkyk Pass (second pass) – about 46 km of gravel road – until you reach Dwarsrivier, home of Cederberg Wines. Total distance from Cape Town: ±250 km; ±3 hours’ drive.|
FOR GOOGLE AND GRAPHIC MAPS CLICK ON A LINK BELOW:
|Monday to Saturday:
Sundays & public holidays:
|08:00–12:30 & 14:00–17:00
09:00–12:00 & 16:00–18:00
|Monday to Saturday:
Sundays, Good Friday & Christmas Day:
|09:00–12:00 & 14:00–16:00
Not open for tasting